Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pacific Crossing, Part IX — And Now for the Flip Side

Time to put all those romantic notions away and spill the beans about what it is really like to cross the Pacific Ocean in a 44 foot boat. It isn't at all like being on a cruise ship with candlelight dinners, strolls along the deck and drinks under light of the moon. There are some wonderful and special moments to be sure, but it has not been without its challenges.

Luckily, we haven't had any major weather problems, no breakdowns of equipment and no medical emergencies. In fact no problems of any kind. Thanks to all the well wishes we received our journey has been smooth and trouble free. That's the good part. The bad part is it makes for a rather dull blog and we won't have that incredible, life changing moment story to tell when we get home. I'm ok with that, but I feel we may disappoint those hoping to hear how we conquered the ocean through our ingenuity, strength and sheer determination. The only thing we have had to conquer on this trip was a severe case of boredom and restlessness.

For two people who have spent most of their lives being incredibly busy with work and family, I think we have coped quite well with this slow paced life on the ocean. We talk a lot about the things we want to do and make all kinds of plans for our return. But at some point, I can't help thinking of that Elvis Presley song - a little less conversation, a little more action please. Enough planning and discussing, let's just do something!!!

The difficult part of being on a boat for so long is being confined to such a small space and the limited movement. Well, that's not exactly true. We are moving all the time because of the waves and that, in and of itself, can be quite annoying. Especially when the boat is rocking a lot and just a small task like washing dishes takes a great deal of coordination and balance. And after a rough night at sea I feel like I haven't really slept cause it is impossible to lie still. So, I guess I am saying I miss moving around on my terms.

We eat incredibly well on this boat even if every meal is taken on your lap, one hand on the plate at all times. We did a good job of provisioning but I still have cravings for things we don't have (of course) like ice cream or oranges. Hmmm. I sure do hope they have ice cream in Hiva Oa.

This has been an experience like no other and I am glad for the opportunity but I won't hurry to do this again. Maybe it's a bit like childbirth and after a few months the memories of the boredom and the lack of mobility will be forgotten and I will romanticize the trip as I flip through my many nice sunset photos and enjoy the benefits of this long journey as we island hop in the South Pacific and will change my mind. Or maybe a not.

But talk to Jens and he has a completely different view. He is doing something he has dreamed of since he was a child and read the stories of Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon Tiki. He has romanticized this journey as following in the footsteps of the famous Captain Cook, crossing the largest ocean in the world. He is all about the journey, whereas I am all about the getting there. Perhaps not such a bad balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment