Sunday, May 26, 2013

SEGWUN is at Sea Again

Hi folks. SEGWUN here again. I haven't had a chance to have my say since we crossed through the Panama Canal to the Pacific Ocean last October. The first mate is feeling a little sea sick today, so I finally have my chance to speak.

Yup, we are at sea once again. Can you believe it? I spent more than 21 days sailing my butt off to get them to land, and they barely get the green gunk off my bottom and we're off again. This is one big ocean we are sailing in. I heard them talking the other day and it seems we are only half way to New Zealand. Half way! Can that really be true? Oh, it's times like this when I really do miss my beloved Chesapeake Bay. All those familiar people and places and my lovely, lovely berth at Osprey Point Marina. Gosh I miss them sometimes. I wonder if they also miss me.

But on the bright side I have met many other nice boats. A few of my relatives as well. There were at least four of us Island Packets in one bay not long ago. And I just know, not to be snotty or anything, that we are the prettiest of the boats at anchor. Mind you I can't compete with Erica XII. She's a 172 foot sail boat built in Holland. She's also quite young, less than 10 years old. My feelings were a little hurt when my captain kept staring at her, through his binoculars no less. And then he looks her up on the Internet and drools over her some more. Sure makes me feel a little under appreciated. And to make it worse, at the next bay we sail to, there is SuRi, a huge motor yacht. You would think there is no competition, until they start taking the toys out. Seadoos, motor boats, a vintage cruiser, a two story slide and to really make you jealous, a helicopter. Word was that it was Tom Cruise's boat but that turned out to be a rumour. Well all toys aside, she wasn't the nicest looking yacht.

In my heart, I know they really love me best. The seas today are big with huge 4 meter swells and 22 knot winds, but they know I can handle that. No sweat. Even with my genoa furled to just a tiny square I'm moving us along at 6 knots. The sea is a bit bouncy on this journey so I understand it is not the most comfortable sailing and those big swells are coming across my bow and sometimes crashing into the cockpit. We're a happy group and we all get along just fine. My Captain takes good care of me and he brags about my beautiful lines, bright work and performance every chance he gets. And I know the first mate wouldn't trade me for anything even if she does get a bit sea sick now and again. As much as I sometimes miss the good old days of sailing the Atlantic I really do enjoy the challenge and the sights of the Pacific. What a magnificent journey I am on.

Ah yes, back to the journey. This trip will be a little shorter than the last. Only three and a half days to the Tuamotus. We expect to get to the atoll called Kauehi by Sunday. A distance of only 509 miles from Ua Pou. I heard they received a message on their satellite phone from my buddy S/V Enchantment. They left from Nuku Hiva last Saturday and are already there. Enchantment is also an Island Packet you see. We first met at the San Isabel anchorage in Galapagos and since then we have anchored close to each other several times. So nice to travel with my sister ship.

We'll be visiting some of the atolls of this archipelago over the next few weeks and then head to Pape'ete, Tahiti where we are picking up a very special guest. Lots of excitement on this little craft.


Erica XII at anchorage.

M/Y SuRi with it's garage full of toys and a helicopter no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment