Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Coast

If I had traveled to Australia in my 20's I think a letter home would have started something like this:  "Dear Mom and Dad:  am just loving it here.  In fact, I have cashed in my return ticket so I could buy a surf board and stay a little longer."

I can't imagine anyone living near the coast and not surfing.  It is definitely a passion here.  Imagine heading out to the beach for a bit of surfing before checking into the office?  Or a quick stop for a surf on the way home.  Sorry mate, can't give you a lift, I have my surf board in the passenger seat.

Surfing is a bit foreign to Canadians and Danes.  Not a surprise considering the following statistics.

  • 25 surf spots in Denmark which has 7,300 km of coast line -- on average a surf spot every 292 kilometers of coast.
  • 76 surf spots in Canada which has 202,000 km of coast line meaning a surf spot every 2,658 kilometers.   Realistically a little better than that because there are 30 surf spots each on the West and East coasts ... no surfing is happening on the arctic coast...go figure.
  • 1,418 surf spots in Australia which has 25,800 kilometers of coast line, giving on average a surf spot every 18 kilometers.  Which way to the beach? Do you really need to ask??











No comments:

Post a Comment