Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hodge Podge

Blogging:
It seems that everyone is blogging these days.  It’s quite easy to set one up and I am still playing with it to try to make it attractive and easy to use.  I have some limitations – either with the software and/or with my lack of computer skills when it comes to this sort of thing.  So it’s a bit of trial and error; advice from Eric and once in a while checking the on line help (as a last resort of course). 
We have a nice community of followers for our blog made up of family, friends, friends of friends, ex-colleagues and I think a few who just happen to stumble upon us.  I can see that we have people from Russia, Turkey, Sweden, Denmark, UAE, Canada, USA, Bahamas, Barbados, Venezuela and Germany checking out our blog now and then.  We have had almost 3000 views since we started.
I’m always happy to get emails from friends who have read the blog.  It helps us feel connected to the world and our friends and loved ones, especially during those times when we are out in the ocean with no land in site.

Getting Seasick:  Hmmm.  Here’s something I am struggling with.  I was really hoping I would get used to this rocking and rolling but I still get green during the rougher days unless I’m sitting in the cockpit or lying down.  We have tried the tablets which seem to work if you’re willing to suffer the side effects.  They tend to make me very grumpy, tired and give me a headache (and I think my grumpiness probably gives Jens and the rest of the crew a headache!).  We are now trying the wrist bands which use acupressure.  This is the first day with them on and it seems to help.  But we don’t have such a rough sea today.  Jury is still out. 

Fridge and Freezer Update:  When we reached Southside Marina a repair man was called first thing Monday.  He said he would be there just after lunch. We waited till 6PM – no show.  We called them again and he promised to show up on Tuesday.  We were diving in the morning and arranged to meet him at 2PM.   And yes, he showed up and Jens felt he knew what he was talking about, so all was good.  The repair wasn’t anything too expensive, but he needed to order parts which he said would be in by Thursday morning and he would come back at 10AM to fix it.  Apparently it is some kind of a blocked filter (technical details can be provided on request by the Captain).  Southside marina has a sand bar near its entrance and we can only leave during high tide which was at 11:30 so it was a bit close, but manageable.  When he didn’t show by 11AM, they called the office only to be told the parts would not be in until Monday!  So, needless to say, Jens told them to forget it as we can’t hang around until Monday if we’re going to be in BVI on February 4th.  We are still limping along with a fridge and freezer that work intermittently.   The saga continues.

Dexter:  Just finished Season 5.  Phew.  I never thought I would be so concerned about a serial killer getting caught!  What is wrong with us?  But we love Dexter and his very quirky sister.

1 comment: