Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Daily Routine

September 26, 2012

Well, what to say that I haven't already said! Life rolls by slowly with long lazy days of snorkeling and exploring the islands. The weather here is less rainy and a bit less hot than it had been in Colon with morning temperatures at about 25 c. Mind you, by mid-afternoon it is well above 30 c and if our barometer on the boat is right the humidity levels never go below 70%. It's always nice to jump in the water which is lovely and warm ranging between 30 and 31 c.

Chores: There are the daily chores of sweeping and vacuuming the cabin, cooking meals and charging batteries to keep us busy. And we need to do laundry now and then so it's the old fashioned process of hand washing and hanging out to dry. In this climate very little clothes are needed and we spend a great deal of our time in our swimsuits. We are all nice and toasty brown!

Cooking: I have been trying out the beer bread recipe which is fast and easy to make. Only the Captain complains because I need one can of beer for each loaf of bread. But he doesn't complain too much when he is eating the results. The other day I added cheese and chili peppers to one loaf and cinnamon and raisins to the other loaf which made it fine for dessert or toasted for breakfast. Both turned out really well. It is a bit of a heavy bread and fills us up. But we have learned that it is best eaten the same day or soon after as it doesn't keep well.

We had received some coconuts from a Kuna on the island next to our anchorage in return for filling his water jug. With a few extra coconuts I thought to make a coconut cake, but without a recipe and few ingredients I had to improvise a little. I added grated coconut to the batter and used coconut milk instead of cow's milk. I had a package of vanilla flan that I used for a topping and decorated it with some maraschino cherries. It looked pretty and tasted yummy. The crew on Segwun really do enjoy their desserts.

I've tried my hand at the 'No Knead' bread and changed a couple of things. Much better this time, but not yet perfect. I think the high humidity might have something to do with it so next time, I'll use lest water. Stay posted. When it comes out as it should, I'll post a photo and the recipe. :-).

Now that we have restored faith in the freezer, next time we provision, we'll be sure to stock up on chicken and beef. We were a little uncertain this time around so we were cautious with how much meat we bought and although we can buy some groceries in the San Blas I am a bit reluctant to buy meat. We've been eating a lot of pasta as a result. Nothing like good old spaghetti and macaroni, right?

The Spider: we have a stowaway aboard Segwun. It is a spider that is living at the stern of the boat. He/she must take refuge in the Bimini during bad weather. He's been with us since we left Shelter Bay and every evening, just around the time we are having our sundowners, out he comes and builds a new web up at the back of the Bimini stretching out to the davits for the dinghy. I guess even spiders make good sailors (I wonder if they get seasick??)

Entertainment: we finished watching Season 1 of Game of Thrones and are now halfway through Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire. We have also kept ourselves busy with a backgammon tournament which I didn't make past the first round. Poo! But I guess someone has to lose and Christian is just so darn lucky!!! He makes up for beating everyone at backgammon with a little soothing guitar music.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment