Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Living on a sailboat ... The good, the bad and the ugly.

So far in my blog, I have been telling about the great fun and adventures we have had. I guess it is now time to tell you the other side of it. Well, at least the part of it all that starts to annoy me a little. Those that know me well know that I am not a Prima Dona. But I do enjoy the good life and the luxuries that go with it. I love business class flights, lounges, pick up service, a nice home, clean bathrooms and most of all, freedom.
Let's start with freedom. Yes, we are free on a boat, no doubt. But I have always LOVED my car. Not that I care what kind of car it is, just to know I can jump in and go pretty much anywhere I want, whenever I want. Turn on the music and just drive. I really, really miss that.
I miss the luxuries of home. A washer/dryer at your disposal, an oven that I can bake more than six cookies at a time, and a bathroom, well, let's not go there. Ok, I have to say it. I really hate public bathrooms. At least most of them. The rest, I just plain don't like and avoid when I can. The nicest marina shower so far was at Nanny Cay in BVI. Shower, sink, toilet all in your own separate room. The bathroom here in Curacao at the fisherman's wharf is the worst. No doors on the bathroom stalls, and the shower stall has a wall that is only about waist high and is viewing distance from the bar. Great for the fishermen, not so great for me. And who cleans it by the way??? We do have a bathroom on board and by boat standards it is a very fine bathroom. But it's just not the same as the bathroom I have at home. Yes, I know I am spoiled!
We learn to conserve on a boat. Power, water, fuel. I love that part of it. Save the planet by reducing our carbon footprint and all that good stuff. But, damn I miss my hair dryer! And the microwave. These two appliances suck so much power that they have almost been banned from the boat. We only use them when we are on shore power. So, for now, my hair is curly and unruly. It's the new me. I see dreadlocks in my future.
Oh yes, and none of the above bother Jens. He's not worried about his hair, doesn't mind eating cold leftovers, loves taking buses and, well, like most men, can go to the bathroom just about anywhere.
Enough whining. I know, I know. The good is far outweighing the bad and the ugly. (By the way the ugly I'd me when I can't find a good bathroom or have to wait for a bus). We are really loving the life of a sailor and more than that we are enjoying being together, finally!

2 comments:

  1. Evelyn with Dreadlocks!
    I look forward to see that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAOOOO Whoot good times. I love your hair curly. Your smile finally reaches your eyes... <3 you both.

    ReplyDelete