Saturday, March 24, 2012

My name is Evelyn Rasmussen, and I'm an Internet junkie

Ok. I can't hide it any longer. Jens is on to me. Living together 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it is impossible to keep secrets and even more impossible to hide our bad habits and vices.
I didn't realize it before, because having a full time job meant that you were always on the internet, available by cell phone and just generally 'plugged in'. Since we started cruising, we had to give up our beloved cell phones because what we would have spent on roaming costs would have been enough money to buy a small country! We could have had wifi via satellite service on the boat, but that too was beyond our budget.
During the past five months we have had intermittent wifi and OMG sometimes even NO WIFI!!! Jens laughs when the first thing I do when we are getting ready to find a place to anchor is to pull out my iPad and check for internet connections. I have actually suggested anchoring spots based on the signal strength of free wifi. No wifi, let's keep going!
There is nothing more frustrating than a weak signal. In CuraƧao, we had wifi from the boat but it was such a weak signal, you had to hold the iPad up and in a certain direction to get anything. So, we made several trips in Squirt to the Fisherman's wharf where the signal strength was good.
On arrival to Aruba, of course one of the first things I did was check for wifi. Lucky for me, there was a strong signal and for a reasonable weekly fee, I have access to all the Internet browsing I can use. Jens is now complaining that I am spending too much time with my iPad. :(
Yes, I love the Internet. I love being able to look things up, plan trips, book tickets, talk to family and friends whenever I want to, and sometimes just browse. I admit, I am an Internet junkie!
So, what are Jens' bad habits and secret vices. Well, you'll have to stay tuned to hear about those. For now, I have to get back to Facebook, Skype, Hotmail, Gmail, and my new discovery, Messenger for iPad.

1 comment: