Saturday, April 7, 2012

Santa Marta, Colombia

We arrived at Santa Marta Marina on Thursday morning, about two hours ahead of our boat buddies on Snowaway. Here you see us in the marina, Segwun on the left with our little bikes parked on the pier. Karen is the mast monkey today on Snowaway doing some cleaning.
It is the Easter weekend here in Santa Marta and this town is a favorite weekend getaway location for Colombians. We decided to concentrate on catching up with laundry, maintenance and repairs, and cleaning for the next couple of days. We'll start our exploring on Monday when the crowds have left this little seaside town.
Yesterday afternoon we met with a cousin of a colleague who was in Santa Marta for the weekend. Joaquin's wife is from Santa Marta and he was able to give us lots of good ideas of where to go and how to get around. We were so pleased to be able to speak to someone from the area. It really helps to round out the information in the Lonely Planet guide. I think we'll have some interesting days ahead of us.
If you have heard that Colombians are friendly, I can say that we have found this to be true. So far we feel very comfortable here. The Marina is quite new and is right next to the industrial port. We see the big container ships coming in and out. I think I developed a fascination with the big ships when I lived in Istanbul. With the view of the Bosphorus from my balcony, I spent many early mornings watching the ships go by. So I apologize I'd you find these pictures a little boring. I still love to see these big ships and can't help taking photos of them. You'll probably see a few more before we leave here.
Here you see a big Dole ship and then a night view of a Maersk container ship.
This morning we woke up to see the Silver Explorer, one of the ships from the Silver Expedition cruise line, in the port. They do a slightly different type of cruise. Jens and I would like to take their cruise to Antartica which is a place we would be love to visit but can't or won't go there on Segwun. One day!


This gorgeous island with a light house is just outside of the marina. This is the early morning shot, followed by the sunset shot. I got out just a little too late for a good picture. I'll try and get a better one tonight.
A cormorant and a white egret sharing the pier.
That's it for today. I think it's time to do a bit of sanding. Woohoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment