Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ship Shape

We are preparing to set sail once again. I am quite excited to get going and to be visiting Colombia. I have traveled to Bogota for business several years ago and never thought I would have the opportunity to come back as a tourist.

Aruba is a beautiful island and the beaches are like no other. Today, we took a long leisurely stroll on the beach for one last time, had lunch at the Fisherman's wharf and then back to the boat to make ready. The bikes came back on board and got tied down on the deck, all lose things are stowed away, and Squirt is up on the davits. That is Jens' work. My work is in the galley. Since we will be sailing about 280 miles, and it is unpredictable as to whether or not I will be able to prepare meals, I like to have some food ready to eat. Things like sandwiches, cookies, banana bread and left overs such as pasta and sauce, that can be eaten on the go. Jens still does the majority of the sailing so it's important for him to have his meals. And I also still get quite seasick so the less time I have to spend below, the better.
We will head down to the marina tomorrow for fuel and then to customs for clearing out. We expect to be under way by mid morning. First stop will be Cabo de la Vela ( get your atlas out ) where we will rest for a day before sailing to Santa Marta.
The wind gusts have been less frequent today and they are supposed to die down by mid day tomorrow. Even the seabirds are a bit tired...
Let's hope the weather forecast is accurate and that we have some smooth sailing. Tonight Jens and I will lie in bed and listen to the night life on the beach as we drift off. Lovely Aruba, One Happy Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment